[LCML] 22r rebuild parts (was: Early `84 22r -- Timing Chain Question)

Jeff Zepp jeffzepp at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 15 15:38:18 CDT 2010

Mike Croutcher wrote:

>one of my parts suppliers used to order NEW VW water boxer engines from south
>Africa. I'm sure you are right, and they might even be cheaper.

Dominic von Stösser writing:

>This may be redundant, but I am 100% confident that it is possible to order 22R
>engines from Toyota South Africa, in that it is a *really* widespread engine.

Unfortunately, shipping and importation would pretty much break the bank. I now understand the reasoning behind Bob's course of action, and fully support it. Keep it all stock and original, just freshen it up with new parts, proper machine work, and tender loving care. That is the direction I have gone on my 1976 FJ40 restoration. It is more expensive than some options, but at the end of the day you know exactly what you've got, and that's legendary Toyota Reliability.

Best of luck, Bob!

Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063, TLCA President, LCML Admin
http://tlca.org